Women Ministries - Initiatives
Advocacy for Victims of Abuse (AVA)
There is an epidemic affecting one out of every four women. They suffer behind closed doors, most often concealing their pain, fearful of those on both sides of the door. These are the victims of abuse. They are neighbors, co-workers, friends, and loved ones. Victims of abuse come from all walks of life, and this epidemic knows no boundaries. While the secular world can offer protection and advice, it cannot provide the one thing most needed: Jesus’s healing touch that brings renewal and hope.
The Evangelical Covenant Church addresses sexual assault and its related concern, domestic violence, through the Advocacy for Victims of Abuse (AVA) Women Ministries initiative. As a church we acknowledge the reality of brokenness and sin in the world as well as the power of the community to heal brokenness through Jesus Christ. AVA informs, educates, and raises awareness in our congregations and communities.
AVA video http://vimeo.com/72828129
We provide trained AVA Advocates to inform, educate and raise awareness in our congregations and communities. Some of the ways we do this is through:
• Training and awareness workshops for pastors, leaders, and laity and the community
• Helping train advocates in your own church
• Providing “In Her Shoes”, a simulation exercise which helps participants see abuse through the eyes of a victim
• “In Their Shoes” is a program for youth pastors, leaders and parents to walk through an interactive simulation of youth dating violence
• Providing “In Their Shoes Classroom”, an interactive simulation program for youth to understand and identify young adult dating violence.
We are called by Christ to care for the marginalized and oppressed, to bring hope and healing to broken lives and relationships. Help us to speak boldly against the injustice of violence against women, children and men.
For more information please contact:
Women Ministries PSWC AVA Regional Coordinator
Missional Moms – Gathering Moms to Inspire & Encourage
Missional Moms is a call to all women to live missionally at every stage of life. Missional Moms gatherings help women find refreshment and inspiration to continue their journeys. Missional Moms conferences are a way to catalyze a movement of moms in your local context, revitalizing them to become missional agents in their families, schools, workplaces, neighborhoods, and beyond. For resources and support for your community, or to host a gathering visit http://www.covchurch.org/missionalmoms/